Kia unveiled the new Seltos at the 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show. It is the fifth SUV in Kia’s lineup and will be place between iconic Soul and sleek Sportage. The new Seltos will be offered in five trims: LX, EX, S 2.0L, S 1.6T and SX and will be put on sale in the first quarter of 2020. Prices will start under $22,000.
The 2021 Seltos gets its design inspiration from the Telluride and has been described by Kia as an SUV with a “strong, upright stance.” The SUV features a front end ground clearance of 7.2-inch that will allow it to drive on any type of road.
Up front the Seltos will get Kia’s signature tiger nose grille with a diamond-like detail, while the headlamps feature a full LED “Beat” lighting for a modern appearance. The front bumper has an aggressive look and has been placed low in order to improve approach angle and help with the off-road driving.
In the back the rear lamps are connected by the tailgate garnish and the exhaust system features dual pipes made in chrome.
The 2021 Seltos will be offered with a choice of 17 0r 18 inch alloy wheels.
Customers will have a choice of two engines: a 2.0-liter four-cylinder MPI or a 1.6-liter Turbo GDI. The first one delivers a total of 146 horsepower and 132 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to an Intelligent Variable Transmission. The second one delivers 175 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft. of torque and is paired with a 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission.
Available 10.25-inch high-resolution color touchscreen3 with satellite radio, UVO telematics, navigation and split-screen display. First time in Kia available 8-speaker Bose2 premium sound system Apple CarPlay4 and Android Auto5 Available wireless smartphone charging6 Available three total USB charging ports Available multi-Bluetooth7 wireless connectivity allows two phones to connect simultaneously Available “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS):8
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW): Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles traveling in the next lane. When a vehicle is detected in the blind spot, an icon flashes in the mirror. A chime will sound if the turn signal is on.
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA): Builds on BCW by applying brakes to the outer wheel under certain conditions to return the vehicle to its lane.
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)9: Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with pedestrian detection (FCA): Assists the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle or pedestrian is detected in front.
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA)10: Uses federal highway speed limit information from the navigation system and, under certain conditions, will automatically adjust speed to be within the posted speed limit and maintain distance with the vehicle detected in front.
- Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS): Designed to alert the driver if the system detects that the vehicle is about to depart from its current lane without a turn signal.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS): Builds on LDWS by applying slight steering inputs in certain circumstances to help bring the vehicle back into the lane.
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): Builds on LKAS. Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the center of the lane.
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Uses BCW technology to help detect approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and applies brakes.
- Rear Occupant Alert11: Designed to provide a message in the instrument cluster for the driver to “Check rear seats” in order to help prevent leaving the vehicle with a rear passenger left inside; the message appears when the driver door is opened after a rear passenger door has been opened and closed.
- Smart Cruise Control with stop & go (SCC w/S&G): Designed to adapt to the driving environment by automatically applying the brakes, or accelerator, to help maintain a predetermined distance from a vehicle it detects in front. Can bring the vehicle to a full stop and resumes when traffic resumes within three seconds of stopping.
- Safe Exist Assist (SEA)12: Can alert the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. When detected, a chime sounds.